SFC: Seneschalstown stun Navan O’Mahonys

SFC: Seneschalstown stun Navan O’Mahonys

Seneschalstown 0-10

Navan O’Mahonys 1-05

With just one score in the first half, the Yellow Furze side fought back to overcome the Navan O’Mahonys side in a damp Pairc Tailteann on Sunday.

O’Mahonys were first to open the scoring on the 5th minute with a point from free from Shane Gillispie. They soon upped that with another point from play from half forward Darragh Smyth. It took 17 minutes for Seneschalstown to open there scoring with a point from play from midfielder Damien Sheridan. But O’Mahonys were quick to react and a good pass from Stephen Bray to full forward Kevin Reilly seen the ball slotted to the back of the net on the 18th minute. Bray got a point from free on the 23rd minute before he was substituted on the 27th minute due to injury. Navan O’Mahonys were up 1-03 to a point going into the break of the first half.

The Yellow Furze side opened the second half scoring with a point from free in the opening minute from the number 11 Brian Sheridan who was now playing in the full forward position. Further frees from on form Sheridan on the 33rd and 35th minute gave Seneschalstown momentum. Navan O’Mahonys were unable to control the Seneschalstown forwards and another point from free from substitute Shane Clarke on the 38th minute seen them just one point behind the Navan side. An excellent point from the sideline from Brian Sheridan on the 39th minute and another from play on the 40th minute seen the Yellow Furze side go one point ahead. With yet another fowl from Navan O’Mahonys, Sheridan was able to step up and kick another free over the bar on the 41st minute. O’Mahonys had not yet scored in the second half but Seneschalstown conceeded frees and missed opportunities from Cormac Mc Guinness and substitute Jake Regan left Seneschalstown breathing a sigh of relief. Sheridan slotted over another 2 points from free on the 53rd and 55th minute leaving them 4 points up with 4 minutes left of normal time.

With referee Colm Mc Manus adding 4 minutes additional time Seneschalstown were left defending hoping there 4 point lead would be enough to win the match. Two late points from frees from Regan wasn’t enough and great defending from Seneschalstown seen them with a well needed and deserved 2 point win.

Seneschalstown: D. Lyons, D. Byrne, C. Noonan, G. Sheridan, P. Carey, G. Conlon, J. Byrne, J. Sheridan, D. Sheridan (0-01), C. Macken, B. Sheridan (0-08, 5 frees), J. Cowley, S. Finnegan, P. Waters. Subs: S. Clarke(0-01) for Waters Half Time, A. Gleeson for Macken 55 mins, D. Hosey for B. Clarke 56 mins, R. Ruddy for Finnegan 60 mins, C. Gleeson for Cowley 62 mins.

Navan O’Mahonys: M. Brennan, S. O’Toole, N. Mc Keigue, I. Matthews, S. Mc Gabhann, C. Mc Guinness, G. O’Brien, M. Ward, D. Moran, D. Smyth (0-01), S. Mc Keigue, A. Forde, S. Gillespie (0-01 free), K. Reilly (1-0), S. Bray (0-01 free). Subs: B. Dillon for Bray 27 mins, A. Rogers for Gillespie 36 mins, J. Regan (0-02 frees) for Smyth 53 mins.

Referee: Colm Mc Manus

Link to Fixture: 
Senior SFC Rd4

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer